A Very Late Post!!!-Septuagesima

This post should have been published last Saturday but for the last week I have had no Internet at home so today I decamped over to our Supply room @ Isaiah 40 and am getting a bunch of work done. So here you go, for those of you who missed my weekly update 😊 
Saturday Feb 18th-Septuagesima
      So I know I said I would back off on weather reports but REALLY!!!! I cannot resist mentioning that is has snowed everyday this past week (except for yesterday) and that we received a record-breaking 50+cms. The city is working hard to clear the streets and sidewalks but, Oh my! the Shovelling!!!!
      The trouble is that with so much all at once there is literally nowhere left to put it and all the piles around the house are now way higher than my head, which means each shovelful of snow has to be thrown about 8 feet into the air. The other nasty piece of news has been that my modem stopped functioning. The WiFi had been patchy for about a week but sometimes phone line interruptions are due to snow so I didn’t think too much about it until Wednesday evening when it stopped completely. First thing Thursday I called the phone company and when I finally reached a human being he ran some sort of analysis over the phone and told me the router needed replacing. It was supposed to be sent by 9pm Thursday but of course did not come despite my waiting up until 10pm just in case!!! So Friday morning I went through the whole kerfuffle of reaching a human being only to be told that they could do no more for me since the parcel was now with Canada Post. AGH!!!!!!!!! The agent helpfully suggested I could track the parcel online, presumably with no Internet?? HA!!
   All of this to say that much of my Day Camps work has ground to a halt because virtually everything relies on WiFi.  Arnee was having trouble with Internet too, earlier in the week but had sorted it our before my woes began, however I guess fortunately for me, she is still catching up with Manual Chapters so the fact that I cannot proofread at present is not an issue. Now that I am using an iPhone I do have access to the office email but I’m not sure what sort of data plan the phone has so I’m hesitant to be doing too much work that way. All VERY frustrating but the world is just so reliant on technology these days it becomes so hard to function without it.
 Yesterday I thought I would put my time to good use and start some Meyer Lemon Marmalade but then remembered that the only recipe I had seen for it was bookmarked from a blog and thus inaccessible. ARGH!! So I’m adapting a Lime Marmalade recipe from a book (old school method!!) and hoping it will be edible.
        In other news, I have almost completed the Icelandic Sock marathon only to have now run out of the main colour yarn. After consulting with the friend for whom I’m knitting them we have decided I should check out our local knitting store and see if they have anything remotely similar with which I can complete the toe and heel.  Wil and I shall be visiting the shop on our afternoon walk later today 😊.
      Tomorrow evening is Crossroads Youth Service and I’m super excited to see Sherri and her son and daughter. So this afternoon I’m baking some treats for the snack as well as Pumpernickel Loaves and a pie shell in readiness for Monday’s Day Camp Committee meeting. Unless the modem arrives really soon, this post may not appear until Monday since I have no way of publishing it, let alone figuring out how to upload the photos!!!!

Well, best head off and do some baking preparation.  
But first we need a recipe:-  I decided share the marmalade recipe since it proved way easier than others I’ve tried and has turned out perfectly. if you can get hold of Meyer Lemons then I heartily recommend it!
Meyer Lemon Marmalade

  • 4 Meyer Lemons
  • 1 large lime
  • 5 cups sugar
  • 5 cups water
  • several sterilised jars
Wash the lemons and lime and slice very thinly, reserving all pips. Tie the pips in a piece of muslin. Place the fruit and pips in a large glass bowl and add the water. Cover and leave overnight. Next day place the fruit mixture in a non-reactive pot and boil for 1 hour or until the peel is really soft. too can as up to 1 more cup of water is a lot evaporates. Once the fruit is soft, stir in the sugar and bring back to the boil. boil for 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and pour into prepared jars.Wipe down the rims them Attach lids and screw down. Leave to cool, when you hear the lids “pop” you know they are sealed.! Makes 1 litre.
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close