As previously mentioned, this week has been “Camp Week”, definitely with a capital “C” this year as the combining of Junior and Senior Youth Camps created one big CAMP!

But let’s backtrack a bit first… 
Early in the week I began the annual task of compiling Feedback forms that are sent to every community who hosted a Day Camp. The forms amass information gleaned at the Team Evaluation Meeting, the written Evaluation forms submitted by all Team Members and Leaders, responses to the evaluations sent in to the office from Clergy and Coordinators and, of course from my personal observations.
It is really important to provide each community with our thoughts and reflections, especially in response to those sent to us so I like to take a good amount of time and reread everything several times before pressing the “send” button😊
 Monday evening, we held a Day Camp Committee meeting. This is unusual timing but was necessary since most of the committee had been out of town for last week’s Team Evaluation Meeting. I made Chickpea Gyros and  Greek Lemon Cake, which everyone seemed to enjoy very much. It was really good to meet with 4 other committee members and talk over the summer as well as roughing out some plans for the months ahead, God Willing.
  By Tuesday, part of my brain was also concerned with packing everything needed for my day-trip to Camp on Wednesday. As well as supplies for my craft workshop and liturgical dance workshop, there were a number of things I had been asked to bring to Camp, including a folder of Prayer Letters. 12 of these were ones I had written, others had been hand delivered to the house and some had come via snail mail. On top of this collection was a large picnic hamper filled with snacks for the three of us who drove down together, plus my own (Organic/Fair Trade) dinner since wild horses could not compel me to consume camp food. 😊 By Tuesday evening there was quite an impressive pile by the front door, topped with my knitting bag and Kobo both of which came in very handy to while away the time in the backseat during the almost 2-hour drive each way.
Wednesday dawned bright and sunny. We did not leave until late morning so I managed to get a bit of office work done before being picked up by Damielle. We then stopped off nearby to collect Sarah and were soon on our way.
We actually made very good time on the highway and arrived at Camp Livingstone, just as lunch was over. I even had plenty of time to set up my workshop in the craft hut. Usually there are about 10 Campers who participate in each workshop but this year with 20 Senior Youth Campers in total I only had 5 in my group. One of whom was not feeling well and had gone to lie down and another of whom was having a personal conversation with the Camp director. However the 3 teens I did have were all lovely young people. I gave them the choice between recycling magazine pages into beads to  turn into jewellery, or recycling the pages for the art of quilling, the project being to make a coaster. They chose the coaster and we all chatted away while learning how to cut and fold the strips and form them into “quills”.
Following that workshop it was “free time” during which I was supposed to teach a Liturgical Dance, which would then be offered at the closing worship (today). However, it being a lovely hot sunny afternoon, free time at the waterfront won out and only one staff person turned up for dance practice.
Syndi Belle sweetly allowed me to play the song for her and share the choreography I had prepared and the story behind the song but, it being impossible for her to dance it as a solo we then both decamped to the waterfront, Syndi to go boating and myself to sit and knit and chat with various campers and staff from both Junior and Senior Youth Camp. 
We stayed on through dinner and for the first portion of evening worship, leaving Camp around 845 pm just as a thunderstorm broke. Fortunately it was quite short-lived and so the driving was not too difficult for Danielle.
I was finally dropped off at home at close to 11 pm, after quite the day!
The past two days have included a couple of visits from former Team and Committee members. Christopher is moving to Halifax today and we will very much miss his presence at committee meetings and all CTM events. In between I have managed to complete all but one of the Feedback forms (there are 27!!!) and I hope to do the last one either this evening or some time tomorrow.
Apart from finishing the fingerless gloves I have been knitting with the Icelandic Yarn recently given to me by Sarah and Alexander, I also spent several evenings making William’s Birthday Crown. The Huyers had considered driving down one day to visit at Camp and would have broken their journey overnight here but that did not work out so it is possible I will have to mail the crown as William’s birthday is next Friday.
Well it is time to think about starting dinner preparations. Tonight I’m making a favourite from the cookbook  “Plenty”. If you like really interesting vegetarian food, I highly recommend it 😊
Mango and Eggplant with Soba Noodles
  • ½ cup rice vinegar
  • 3Tbsps. sugar
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • ½ tsp. dried chilli peppers
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • grated zest and juice of 1 lime
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • 1 eggplant, diced
  • 8 oz. soba noodles
  • 1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into strips
  • 1 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
  • 1 cup chopped cilantro
  • ½ a sweet onion, thinly sliced
In a small saucepan heat together the vinegar, sugar and salt, just until the sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool and add the garlic, chilli, sesame oil, lime juice and zest. Heat the canola oil and fry the eggplant until golden. Drain in a colander. Cook the noodles and refresh under cold water.  Drain well. Combine the eggplant, noodles, mango and dressing. Toss well. Fold in the herbs, arrange in a serving bowl and serve immediately or chill for up to 2 hours. Serves 4
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close